One of the most valuable weight loss tips I can give you is to NOT drink calories.
Sodas and alcohol are drinks laden with empty calories that do nothing good for your body … they add carbs and studies have shown that diet soda makes you FAT by increasing your craving for sugar. IF you are Diabetic, diet colas drive up your blood sugar higher than regular colas. Go figure!
AND don’t even get me started on fruit juices. While you might think they are a healthy alternative, they are NOT. They are filled with fructose, a natural fruit sugar that is almost instantly made into FAT. If you crave fruit, eat it WHOLE and if possible with the skin. Yes, the fructose is still there, but is counterbalanced by the fiber in the fruit. Also eating one whole apple will probably satisfy you, while a glass of apple juice is equivalent to 3 or 4 apples.
Water is the perfect alternative.
It’s not just the perfect alternative – it’s essential for life because your body is approximately 60% water. That’s right, most of you is water. You NEED it.
Now here’s where water helps with weight loss:
- Drinking water with meals means you eat less which makes getting into a calorie deficit easier.
- Drinking water between meals makes you feel fuller so you’re less likely to binge and overeat.
There is no downside to drinking more water.
In fact studies have estimated that drinking water encourages your body to burn 24% more calories over the next hour.
As a general rule you should consume 3 litres (quarts) of water per day and more if you’re exercising. At least 1 of those 3 will come from the food you eat so you only need to drink 2 litres (or quarts).
Here is a tip that can make drinking water even MORE valuable. Add one teaspoon of Chia Seeds to your water container. The tiny seeds will expand slightly and have no added taste. They will however add loads of nutrients, including calcium AND they add fiber.
Try it for a week and see how you feel.
IF plain water simply BORES you … here are three great ways to consume more water and LOVE it.
1. Try carbonated water. You can buy it at most groceries. See if bubbly water works for you. IF it does, consider getting a SodaStream Fountain Jet that will carbonate gallons of water for you at a fraction of the price.
2. Flavor your water with zero calorie, zero carb True Citrus products. True Lemon, True Lime and True Grapefruit are all totally sugar free. You can add one packet (equivalent to squeezing a wedge of lemon, lime or grapefruit) to a liter (quart) of water. One or two packets will add a slight citrus flavor to your water, enough to have you happily sipping away throughout the day.
3. Ramp it up a bit by carbonating the flavored water using the SodaStream Fountain Jet. The idea is to create bubbly water with “just a slight touch of citrus.” I have been known to make full strength citrus drinks (I add a touch of pure Stevia extract) and carbonate . Full strength is OK now and again, but for the most part try and stick as close to plain water as you can because it is easier on your digestive system.
Drinking water will not only help you lost weight, but will keep your skin youthful looking and elastic, and can help alleviate joint pain.
PS. Many people avoid drinking lots of water because they think they will have to go to the bathroom more often. The truth is .. when you start, you will have to go more often for 4 to 7 days, then your body adjusts and your bathroom visits will go back to normal.