It simply won’t seem like a summer celebration BBQ without at least one bowl of coleslaw.
The name coleslaw originated from the Dutch word koolsla which means “cabbage salad.” Pretty well every culture has their own cabbage salad versions.
This recipe uses sugar-free mayonnaise and comes in with a very low net-carb count (3 grams) for every one cup serving. This makes it a good choice for anyone on a moderate Keto or Low-Carb diet.
- 7 cups Cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup Carrots (shredded)
- 1 cup Celery (optional - thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Onion (very thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (no sugar)
- 1/2 cup White wine vinegar
- 1/32 tsp Pure White Stevia Powder (adjust to taste add a tiny pinch more if you want it sweeter)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Celery Seed
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Sriracha Sauce (optional, to taste)
- DRESSINGMake dressing at least one hour ahead of time and up to one day in advance. The sitting time allows the spices time to blend.
- Mix spices, vinegar, Stevia, siracha and mayonnaise in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Taste and add several drops more of liquid stevia or a tiny pinch of powered Stevia if you want Mix and taste again. Let sit in the refrigerator, or a cooler until needed, at least one hour.
One hour before serving.
- Toss cabbage, celery and carrots in a large bowl and mix it all up. Add the dressing and toss until evenly distributed. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
A good quality Mandoline Slicer will make slicing the cabbage, carrots and celery an easy task. Here’s one I have used and highly recommend. There are two add-ons that I really like … the glass storage container, and the spiralizer attachment, which is quite unusual with mandolines.
What makes this salad “spicy” is the addition of Sriracha sauce. Some Sriracha sauces are just hot … this one has some nice heat but it also is very flavorful.