The green relish you get in your local grocery is filled with chemicals and food dye. The 3 grams of sugar carbs adds up fast if you are on a Keto diet.
For some of us, having a hamburger, hot dog or smokey is just not the same without relish. This fresh relish is practically zero carbs per one tablespoon serving … it will satisfy your taste buds and keep you on track.
The relish needs to sit and absorb all the spices … so be sure to plan three to four days ahead. It will be good in your refrigerator for up to two weeks.
This recipe makes 3 cups of relish. If you are having a big BBQ bash, you can easily double it … just make sure to pulse small quantities of your veggies at a time, so you don’t end up with mush.
Should you peel the cucumbers or not? This is a judgement call based on your preferences and on the thickness of the cucumber skin. It the skin is tender, I leave it on … if it is thick and leathery, peel with a potato peeler.
Low Carb Keto Relish
- Food processor
- 3 cups cucumbers (l pound)
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup bell peppers (red and yellow)
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sweetener mix (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Clean cucumbers and cut ends off. Chop into pieces, place in a food processor and pulse until you get small relish size lumps. Place in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Peel onion, Chop into pieces, place in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to the pulsed cucumber bits and set aside.
- Clean bell pepper(s) removing stem and membrane. Place in your food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to the cucumber and onion mixture and let sit.
- In a medium pot, bring the vinegar, sweetener, and spices to a slow boil.
- Add to the pot and boil for one minute. Ladle into a resealable glass container.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
- Before serving, drain the liquid off and spoon into a serving dish.