What I love about this Keto Pumpkin Chili is its versatility. You can add more spicy heat by upping the amount of cayenne you use. If you are a tomato lover, you can substitute a second can of tomatoes for the tomato juice, and if you prefer you can substitute beef chunks instead of ground beef.
And the final change you can make is to use canned pureed pumpkin instead of your own pumpkin cubes.
The recipe makes up fast, throw the ingredients together and throw them into a slow cooker, InstaPot or .simmer on low heat on the back of the stove.
You’ll love it … the kids and any stray guests will definitely be asking for a second serving!
For a full Keto meal, just add a big bowl of green salad, drenched with an olive oil dressing.
Keto Pumpkin Chili
- Crock Pot
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Strain to get rid of excess fat and add to your InstaPot or Crock Pot.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper and fry over medium heat until the onions become translucent. Add all the spices and fry a minute longer.
- Add the onions and peppers to your InstaPot. Be sure to scrape out all the spices. Add the tomatoes and break them up, add 1/2 of the juice. Set your InstaPot or Crock Pot on a low simmer setting for one to four hours.
- Taste your chili, adjust seasonings as you like and add more tomato juice IF you want. Cook on a high simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and some grated cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
1. Use two cans of tomatoes instead of the tomato juice. 2. Substitute beef cubes or chunks instead of ground beef. 3. Add MORE Chili if you like things hotter. 4. Make your own steamed pumpkin cubes instead of canned.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
This adds a sweet under tone that enhances the pumkin flavor and marries up perfectly with the chili spices.
In the fall when pumpkins are plentiful and cheap. I usually buy four or five pumpkins. I roast 3 of the pumpkins and create pumpkin puree and freeze in vacuum packs. I peel the skins off two of the pumpkins, cut the flesh int0 one inch cubes and freeze them into recipe sized packs of 2 cups.
Simply take the frozen cubes and add them directly to your chili, stew or soup.
If you are using fresh pumpkin cubess, steam them until they are JUST barely tender.
If you don’t have frozen or canned pumpkin cubess … this recipe is equally good using pumpkin puree.
Check out our other pumpkin recipes: