This Italian Tomato Basil Salad is a refreshing contrast to all the heavier foods on your buffet or dinner table. It’s fast and easy to make. You can use fresh Caprese or chunks of goat cheese. If yellow and purple tomatoes are available, they would be absolutely spectacular on your buffet table.
Italian Tomato Basil Salad
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes (cut in thin slices)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (for garnishing)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 pound soft goat cheese (crumbled or diced into ½ inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup red onion (sliced paper thin)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (best quality, optional, garnish)
- Wash and prepare the tomatoes, slicing them thinly.
- Chop basil and parsley, slice onion and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Add the cheese. If you are using fresh Caprese, use whole balls if they are small, otherwise cut into halves ro quarters. If you are using goat cheese, cut or crumble into 1/4 inch chunks.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients except the oil in a blender. Turn the blender on low and slowly drizzle the oil processing until creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and cheese.
- Garnish #1: Add additional basil leaves as a garnish.
- Garnish #2: IF you have a really good quality, thick balsamic vinegar, drizzle very sparingly over top. This gives an unbelievable punch of taste!
- Serve at room temperature.
Need another buffet perfect salad? Try this colorful Red Cabbage And Pecan Slaw.
The OMG Balsamic vinegars are to die for. This is the classic vinegar but when you click on the link be sure to check out some of the other flavors and stock up. My absolute favorite is Cinnamon Pear-Lime White Balsamic Vinegar, but for this salad, I stick to classic!