When purple or dark red plums are in season, make up a batch or two of this wonderful fresh plum sauce. Spread it on toast or use as a dessert crepe filling. Thin the sauce a little and serve over low carb pancakes or use as a dipping sauce with Keto or Paleo Chicken Nuggets.
Note: you can use soft or firm plums, the soft ones will cook down faster.
4 cups chopped plums
water to cover
1/2 teaspoon Stevia Extract
Stevia Liquid Concentrate to taste
Optional: 2 star anise added to the sauce while simmering will add a mild and slightly exotic licorice flavor. Remove the star anise husks once you take the pot off the heat.
1. Chop the plums coarsely and be sure to remove the stones.
2. Just barely cover with water
3. Simmer until completely softened
4. Remove from heat and process in a food mill or press through a sieve.
5. Return to the heat and add the Stevia Extract.
6. Simmer the sauce until it reaches the desired thickness.
7. Taste the sauce and if necessary add Stevia Liquid Concentrate 1/4 tsp at a time to taste.
This recipe is great for Diabetics because neither Stevia or Xylitol drives up your blood sugars.
Serve warm or cold. Refrigerated sauce will last for about 2 weeks.
*What is Stevia*? This is an overview of Stevia and a rundown of the various forms it comes in (extract powder, liquid and tabs)
Stevia Cookies Stevia baking information plus three healthy cookie recipes:
Melt in Your Mouth Peanut Butter Cookies
Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
*Good for You Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies