If you love a warm comforting dish with a bit of spicy fresh herbs, Basil and Coconut Chicken will hit the spot. Cooked to perfection, made with chicken breasts, creamy coconut milk and spices. Easy and quick to put together. It’s low-carb and Keto friendly.
Basil and Coconut Chicken
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts (cut into large chunks)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp red chili peppers (fresh minced or chili pepper flakes)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (shredded)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper (to taste)
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan and sauté the onion and chili peppers until translucent.
- Add the chicken and fry gently until tender.
- Add the coconut milk, basil and fish sauce.
- Simmer for five minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken a bit.
- Season to taste.
Fish sauce really makes a difference in this recipe. Here’s how to choose a GOOD fish sauce.
Can you substitute dried basil? Hmmmm yes BUT … fresh basil takes this recipe over the top. During the summer I not only harvest my own fresh basil, but buy bunches from the farmer’s market. Strip the leaves from the stems and pack tightly into glass jars and freeze.
If you simply can’t do fresh … substitute one tablespoon of dried basil (add to taste).